Comfort in a bowl - Home Made Chicken Bone Broth
March 7, 2023 • 0 comments
Nothing quite says comfort food like a home made chicken bone broth. Here's an easy slow cooker recipe that will make your house smell amazing, and provide you with a healthy broth packed with vitamins and minerals.
- (1) Whole Chicken, 3-4lb
- (1) Onion, roughly chopped
- (3) Carrots, roughly chopped
- (3) Celery stalks, roughly chopped
- (6) Cloves garlic, smashed
- (2 Tablespoons) Apple cider vinegar
- (2 teaspoons) Black peppercorns
- (1 teaspoon) Sea Salt
- Optional: fresh herbs such as parsley or thyme for extra flavor
- Place the chicken bones in a large 6 quart slow cooker. Add the vegetables, herbs (if using) garlic, apple cider vinegar, black peppercorns and salt on top of the bones and mix to combine.
- Fill the slow cooker with filtered water until all the ingredients are submerged. Cover with the lid and set to low heat for 12 hours.
- Once done cooking let it cool for about 45 minutes before straining through a fine mesh strainer into a large bowl then discard solids. The liquid should be thick and gelatinous once cooled – this is normal!
- Once cooled transfer to jars or other containers labelled with date and contents and store in fridge up to 5 days or freeze for longer storage up to 3 months. Reheat when you need it - Enjoy!